Why it’s important
The National Livestock Identification System (NLIS) scheme aims to ensure Australia remains competitive on the global premium livestock product markets by protecting the country’s farming brand through better management of biosecurity risks. To read more about NLIS visit Meat & Livestock Australia's website here.
How did NLIS come about?
The system originates from a cattle-tracing system introduced to Australia in the 1960's to help fight bovine tuberculosis. The red meat industry recognised the growing need to improve its animal tracing ability to ensure the quality of beef, lamb, sheepmeat and goatmeat. The NLIS scheme was implemented in 1999 to enhance Australia's ability to track cattle during disease outbreaks. Since then it has expanded to include sheep and goats.
What does the farmer/stock owner need to do?
All regulated stock are required to be tagged with NLIS approved Electronic Identification ear tags so that any livestock movements (and other transactions) an be recorded on the NLIS database. For an overview of cattle identification and traceability requirements read more here. For regulations relating to sheep and goats read more here.
What is EID?
Also known as RFID (radio frequency identification), EID is the technology that allows the Ear Tag to transmit a unique animal ID number contained in a microchip inside the tag to a Reader. The system works automatically and has none of the downsides of traditional tags in terms of dirt or visibility.
Making Compliance Easy
Gallagher offers a range of electronic ID tag reading equipment, ranging from products enabling simple compliance with NLIS requirements, through to a more complete weighing & EID system that enables a significant return for the farmer on the cost of the electronic ear tags required by NLIS.
Shown left is a simple EID recording system using a Gallagher Hand Held EID Tag Reader to read EID tags on cattle in a race.
All models are also compatible with Gallagher’s FREE Animal Data Transfer App which transfers animal data to NLIS using a Gallagher EID Tag Reader and Android Smartphone.
Turning Compliance Cost Into An Investment
Combining EID with a weighing system is one of the ways market leading farmers manage their businesses more profitably. Going beyond pure compliance, this system works together to fully automate animal management and handling tasks saving time and money.
- Reduce time and effort in the yard – system reads fast and efficiently, automatically matching weights to animal ID numbers thereby enabling calculation of display of individual animal weight gains
- Improve accuracy – removes human error and prevents incomplete & inaccurate records
- Improved access to animal information – review full weight history for individual animals, mobs or whole herd
- Immediate in-yard information & decision marking – display weight gain performance – identify poor performers straight away and treat or allocate to different feeding groups.
- Accurate health treatments – maximise treatment efficiency and reduce wastage